There’s a lot going on these days.
- Do you live in the Cologne area? Be sure to visit Steinway & Sons Koeln for our “Jazz & Talk” series. I’m hosting a regular series of duo concerts and more with some incredible musicians.
- Big news! My new video bass course is out now at truefire.com. Released this month, “The Upright Bass Handbook” is geared towards beginning double bassists, electric bassists who want to add the acoustic bass to their arsenal, and other instrumentalists who are looking for an overview of bass technique and basic jazz bass line construction.
- Check out my recent articles about a couple of bass masters that not too many folks talk about these days—even though we all know their bass lines! Ben Tucker and Leroy Vinnegar are spotlighted here.
- Speaking of bass etudes, here’s a demo track, and the playalong track from the bass solo “Yes, We Can-taloupe” from the October, 2016 issue of Bass Player Magazine.
- Check out the audio for “Embraceable Red,” an etude based on the style of bassist Red Mitchell, whom I’ve profiled in recent Bass Player Magazine articles.
- Marshall Gilkes’s album “Köln” was nominated for a Grammy in the category Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album. Marshall wrote a nice bass feature for the album, the title of which alludes to my vegan tendencies: “Plant Bassed.”
- The nice folks at multicoolty.com did an interview with me recently about my work with the WDR Big Band and life in Germany as an American ex-pat.
- Peter Leitch is a brilliant jazz guitarist. Here’s a video from a concert we did way back in ’92.
- And while you’re here, please take a minute to sign up for my newsletter. I’ll be sure and give you an update and just a bit of great information every once in awhile.
“If you want to hear some warm, exciting bass playing, dig John Goldsby.” Marc Myers, JazzWax.com. “. . . gleefully evokes those old dim clubs of the Mad Men years, when respectable folks were still wary of that whole jazz thing.” Louisville Metromix Magazine “A grand album, The Innkeeper’s Gun caters to the ECM way of jazz with a […]
For bassists who want to improve their jazz bowing. Learn from the masters: Paul Chambers, Jimmie Blanton, Eddie Gomez, Slam Stewart and more. Techniques and practice methods to help you swing with the bow. Newly Revised! Includes added material and CD with exercises, play-along tunes and demos. by John Goldsby. A complete approach to improvising […]