There’s a lot going on these days.
- Big news! My new video bass course is coming out at truefire.com in July. “The Upright Bass Handbook” is geared towards beginning double bassists, electric bassists who want to add the acoustic bass to their arsenal, and other instrumentalists who are looking for an overview of bass technique and basic jazz bass line construction. Pre-order now and get 20% off with the code: UPRIGHT
- Check out the audio for “Embraceable Red,” an etude based on the style of bassist Red Mitchell, whom I’ve profiled in recent Bass Player Magazine articles.
- Marshall Gilkes was nominated for a Grammy this year for his composition “Vesper,” which he recorded with the WDR Big Band on his album “Köln.” Marshall’s a fantastic player and composer, and I’m proud to be a part of his project.
- The album “Köln” was nominated for a Grammy in the category Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album. Marshall wrote a nice bass feature for the album, the title of which alludes to my vegan tendencies: “Plant Bassed.”
- Check out my new blog post — my responses to reader enquiries.
- Wayfaring Stranger — my tribute article about Charlie Haden.
- The nice folks at multicoolty.com did an interview with me recently about my work with the WDR Big Band and life in Germany as an American ex-pat.
- Peter Leitch is a brilliant jazz guitarist. Here’s a video from a concert we did way back in ’92.
- And while you’re here, please take a minute to sign up for my newsletter. I’ll be sure and give you an update and just a bit of great information every once in awhile.